a ::the smoke zone::: I think we are destroying this place

19.11.08

I think we are destroying this place

Is this latte and two-pound bag of beans really ruining the world?

But it's true. I am responsible for so much poverty, so much destitution, so much terror in this world. One small sip really can do that much damage.

When I think about Peru and the endless miles of people living in ramshackle metal obstructions on a diseased river dragging sick fish out of it with their rusted fish hooks just to get by - it makes me not want to drink too fast.

When I think about the endless miles of factory farms literally squeezing out the profit from sick, bone-thin cows that shouldn't be producing milk - it makes me not want to work so much.

When I think about the endless destruction of families and forests and lives and acres of once wonderful land - it makes me not want to think so much.

Not to mention how demandingly it begs the question I cannot avoid:
Can there be any way to do a coffeeshop right anymore?
What about just living at all - is that possible now?

If so, what is the answer. Because amidst all of these questions are multitudes of antichrist answers all pretending nicely to be the perfect solution.
But what is there that can truly, honestly, and finally answer these complicated problems we are facing?

And does anyone even care enough to seek them out?
Or would a coffeeshop done right be in innate failure with no ability to make money enough to survive long enough to make its meager point?

Well, I don't have an answer. And, in fact, I'm not sure there is one at all.
Perhaps, there really is only getting by and the looking after is just the illusion we use to make ourselves feel better about that.

But, I hope not.

5 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Fateduel said...

Ugh, geez, Rali.
Go and crush all our aspirations like that.
But honestly, I think it is possible.
Or maybe it isn't but I know it's possible to try.
And if we fail doing that, that's better than succeeding at the other side of it.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Avi said...

It's pretty amazing how impossible it is to produce anything convenient for Americans that isn't exploiting someone else, somewhere. That said, there are also lots of places that work hard to minimize that exploitation as much as possible. Good luck to you guys if that is your ultimate goal.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Ralikat said...

I read in a book this evening of an imaginary world where people could live life knowing that their living wasn't at the cost of someone else's.

That's the sort of life I pray we can live one day.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Valakun said...

They should start posting labels on consumer goods, like the surgeon general warnings on cigarettes, that let you know how many people were exploited to make this product.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Ralikat said...

That would be brilliant.

Dark Roast Espresso.
The list would be too long for the bag, I fear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home